Mountain Shadows opened its doors in 1988. It is located in the northwest corner of the District's boundaries and operates on a year-round schedule. The staff at Mountain LogoShadows is committed to providing a quality education for each of its students. Learning takes place in a nurturing climate where students are encouraged to master basic skills and develop a sense of self-worth as they work to become contributing members of our society. School spirit is high, as teachers and parents work in partnership to help students achieve academic excellence, develop social skills, and become responsible citizens.
- Mountain Shadows Elementary serves 1,025 students in grades K-6.
- The school continues to operate on a year-round schedule with students assigned to four attendance groups or tracks. Typically, each track attends school for 45 days followed by a 15 day vacation. The school is closed for several weeks in July to allow all students a common vacation time.
- The school day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:25 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Friday follows a shortened schedule with school dismissing at I :25 p.m. to allow time for teachers to plan curriculum and receive professional training.
- The faculty is comprised of experienced teachers, with many holding advanced degrees.
- The school's curriculum meets or exceeds all state and District standards. Instruction in each grade follows the State and District Core Curriculum Guidelines.
- Mountain Shadows follows the District dress code.
- Discipline is handled in a positive manner; students, teachers, parents, and the administration work as a team to find the best solution for the student. Students are recognized for appropriate behavior through such programs as Climbing Higher, Mighty Nice Manners, Good Principal Visits, and Distinguished Cub.
- Mountain Shadows has an excellent Special Education program to provide services for students with special learning needs.
- The Mountain Shadows Media Center offers students a variety of materials for academic study and personal enjoyment.
- Nutritious, well-balanced lunches are served each day. The student price for lunch is $1.50.
- Visitors are welcome at Mountain Shadows and asked to drop by the office upon arrival. We love volunteers!
Technology training is an important aspect of the school curriculum. Our computer lab enables all students (grades K-6) to learn and practice keyboarding skills, word processing programs, and work with software in language arts and math. The school system is networked to provide school-wide computer experiences, including the Internet. Alphasmarts and mobile computer labs are also utilized in technology integration.
- Mountain Shadows enjoys the services of a supportive PTA and School Community Council.